The magic of the slow cooker is that it does almost all the work for you. Pop in a few ingredients, go about your day, and come back to something hot and delicious. It’s a master at turning inexpensive cuts of meat into something tender and juicy, but it feels even more magic when you get a complete meal out of it. Like succulent, flavorful pork chops with tender baby potatoes… and a creamy, herb-scented sauce to pour over everything. (Yup! All of that out of one slow cooker.)
This is a complete meal with a lot of flavor, and the key to it is that you’re building that flavor in in every step, starting with the pork chops. Boneless or bone-in pork chops work fine here, and you’ll season them with a bit of mustard powder and thyme (and of course salt and pepper) before you sear them.
I know it can be annoying when you have to sear something before you put it in the slow cooker, but it really does help to build flavor and will only take you a few minutes, so don’t skip it! While the pork chops are searing, you can layer the red potatoes in the slow cooker and whisk some garlic powder, onion powder, and basil into some chicken broth, which will act as your cooking liquid.
All of that goes into the slow cooker, with some pats of butter as the final touch. (I told you we were layering flavor here!) It’ll take about three hours on high or five hours on low and when you lift the lid, both the pork chops and the potatoes will be beautifully tender and infused with herby flavor.
Once everything has cooked, you quickly finish the sauce with a touch of cream. (And you do that in the slow cooker, so there are no extra dishes to dirty.) The sauce is positively scrumptious, thanks to some of the juices from the pork, the flavors of thyme, mustard, garlic, onion, and basil – it ties together this easy crockpot meal perfectly.
Creamy Herb Pork Chops & Potatoes
10 minutes active, 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 to 6 3/4-inch pork chops (boneless or bone-in)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Fresh parsley, chopped, as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Season each side of the pork chops with salt, pepper, thyme, and ground mustard.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear the pork chops on each side until brown.
- Place potatoes in slow cooker and top with seared pork chops. Whisk together chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, and basil and pour into slow cooker.
- Top pork chops with sliced butter. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove pork chops and potatoes from slow cooker and keep warm.
- Stir cornstarch into heavy cream and whisk into liquid in slow cooker. Cook uncovered on high to thicken sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, pour over pork chops and potatoes, and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Gourmet.