I think it’s fair to say that we all appreciate the wonders of a slow cooker. My chicken and gravy recipe for the slow cooker is just another example of why I love this handy kitchen gadget so much. Slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe is a combination of two of my favorite things: it’s low in cost and has minimal ingredients.
All of this meal is made with pantry staples. I’ve got my chicken breast from the freezer the night before so that it’s ready for tonight’s meal. The chicken goes into the slow cooker and I’ll season it with some salt and pepper.
Then I mix up the gravy sauce that the chicken will cook in. I take out some dry gravy mix, flour, a can of cream of chicken soup, and some chicken broth.
The rest is pretty simple. I just pour the sauce over the seasoned chicken and put the lid on. It takes just about three hours and when it’s done, I’ll grab two forks and shred the chicken and give it a good stir in all that luxuriously rich and creamy gravy sauce. That’s it!
Of course, for a little extra substance, I can serve this with some mashed potatoes or rice, even a hearty loaf of french bread would be good, anything that will help soak up all that extra gravy is good!
I’ve got a pretty busy household and sometimes we can’t all sit down together at the same time to enjoy a meal. But that doesn’t mean I make separate meals or that we resort to just fast food in between practices, games, and music lessons. My slow cooker chicken and gravy is a meal that I can have sitting in the kitchen ready for when someone is hungry and ready to eat.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
5 minutes active, 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 4
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 packets brown gravy mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place chicken in slow cooker insert and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soup, gravy mix, flour, and water or broth. Pour over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and serve with gravy over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.