A nice thing about casserole is you could serve one each and every day and every single one of them could be totally different from one another. There are so many delicious options as a base, be it pasta, potatoes, or rice, but this particular one relies on tortillas for starch and structure. It just so happens that it’s also creamy and cheesy and has the lovely flavor of mild green chiles running throughout. What I’m saying is, even if you did make a casserole every single day, this one would stand out.
It’s a simple layered sort of affair, but your first step is to whisk up the sauce which is responsible for all that creaminess. What you’re basically doing is creating your own homemade version of condensed ‘cream of whatever’ soup, so you could sub in two cans for the butter/flour/milk/broth mixture if you’re pressed for time. That mixture will seem thick, but some sour cream rounds it out into a nice creamy one. Green chiles and onion go in too, just to ensure that their flavor is in every single bite of this bake.
From there you line strips of tortilla into your baking dish, followed by shredded chicken (it’s a great use for leftover rotisserie), cheddar cheese, and some of the sour cream mixture. Repeat, top the whole thing off with a nice layer of cheese and pop it in the oven. In a little over a half-hour you’ll have a bubbly, creamy, cheesy bake to slice into.
It’s flavorful, but mild enough for the whole family to enjoy and totally comforting in all its creaminess. While you can never have enough casserole recipes, this is one you won’t soon forget.
Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 6
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
- 12 small corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Green onion, sliced, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and allow to cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Stir in milk and chicken broth, whisking quickly to prevent any clumps. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Continue cooking until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, green chiles, and onion.
- Line prepared baking dish with half of the tortilla strips. Top with half of the shredded chicken, followed by half of the cheese.
- Pour half of the sour cream mixture evenly over the top and layer with remaining tortillas, remaining chicken, and remaining sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the top, and bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 35-45 minutes. Garnish with sliced green onion and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gonna Want Seconds.