When it comes to comfort food, two iconic dishes that often come to mind are corn pudding and macaroni and cheese. They’re both comforting in their own right, creamy, and even similar in color… so why not go ahead and marry them in one singularly delicious casserole? The combination might sound a little odd at first, but we promise that it really is a harmonious union of the tastiest variety.
The noodles add a more toothsome bite against the softness that we know from corn pudding, while the sweetness from the corn balances the savoriness of the cheese. It might seem like the ingredient list can get long in a comfort food mashup like this, but with this dish, it’s quite the contrary. You’re only looking at six simple ingredients for this casserole, two of which are canned corn items. It’s really just a simple dump, mix, and bake kind of deal… but here’s the best part: you don’t even need to pre-cook the noodles.
You just mix together some melted butter, canned corn, creamed corn, cheddar cheese, sliced onion, and uncooked pasta, cover it tightly and let it bake. The pasta absorbs the liquid from the other ingredients, making it extra flavorful, and the cheese acts as a delicious unifier as it melts. It’s a creamy, cheesy, and tender bake with pops of sweet corn running throughout. And it couldn’t be easier to make.
Creamy Corn Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 oz) can cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Mix together all ingredients and spread into baking dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake 30 minutes more. Enjoy!
Adapted from Julies Eats and Treats.