Whether you’re serving up a crowd for a summer barbecue or whipping up something delicious to serve for the big football game, these cheesy onion fritters are going to take your favorite grilled meats to a whole new level of amazing. Imagine a humble hamburger crowned with a serving of these golden, cheesy onion fritters or even a beautiful steak topped with a helping of sweet, cheesy, buttery onions. We’re drooling just thinking about them!
We just love the combination of flavors that come with using different types of onions, and each one brings something special to the table, a combination of savory and sweet that is just heavenly. Of course, butter makes a big difference here too (wink-wink). The onions are important, but so too is the cheese, and much like the onion, we love the combination of cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. One is creamy yet sharp, another is creamy and smooth – even a little smoky – and one has a nice salty bite. The onions sweeten as they roast in the oven while the cheese melts into a creamy, golden-toasted cheese blanket.
Cool the onions slightly before slicing into sections, then serve them however you please. It’s one of those side dishes that is almost too simple and too good to be true, but our cheesy onion fritters – not fritters in the technical sense, but still beyond delicious – are truly something special! For an elegant dinner or a more casual gathering, these are just about perfect on any menu.
Cheesy Onion Fritters
40 mintues to prepare serves 8
- 2 red onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scatter sliced onions around the prepared baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Scatter cubes of butter over top of onions and add minced garlic. Sprinkle mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan cheeses over top of onions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese has become bubbly and begins to brown.
- Cool slightly before cutting into sections to serve.
Recipe adapted from Loaves and Dishes.