I love Chicken Pot Pie. It’s a great use for leftovers and if you happen to have some pie crusts in the freezer, it doesn’t take much time at all to make. (It also happens to be totally delicious.) I also love Broccoli Cheddar Soup. At first, they don’t seem like two things that belong together, but I can promise you that when you pair a flaky pie crust with hearty chicken and a creamy, cheesy broccoli filling it makes for one winning mashup.
It starts the way a regular ol’ pot pie starts, with some onions and garlic sauteed in a pan.
Once those are fragrant and soft, you stir in some flour to thicken things up nicely and some cream cheese and milk to keep things creamy.
The filling is rounded out with some chicken, broccoli, and cheddar cheese.
It’s not a ton of ingredients, but they work together so well to form a pot pie that’s maybe not quite traditional, but is flaky, cheesy, creamy, and oh-so-delicious.
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
45 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or nonstick spray. Line with one of the pie crusts. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the flour and let cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, followed by the cream cheese. Cook, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts and mixture thickens. Season with ground mustard, salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in broccoli and chicken.
- Pour mixture into pie shell and top with remaining cheese. Put second pie crust on top and fold and crimp edges of the crusts to seal. Cut 4 slits in the center of the pie.
- Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush over top crust.
- Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen.