Is there anything more incredible than the taste of fresh strawberries? Well, perhaps the only thing tastier would be strawberry shortcake. For a neat spin on a traditional shortcake recipe, these strawberry shortcake cupcakes are just the ticket- no forks of knives needed to eat these delicious treats.
There are a lot of ingredients to this recipe and you could simplify the list by using a vanilla box cake instead of making the cupcakes from scratch. However, it’s best not to skimp on the fresh strawberry filling or the homemade whipped topping because they really make this a special dessert.
To start the recipe you’ll make the filing and let that cool down. Then make the cupcakes and when they are cool enough, hollow out a little spot in the center to place your delicious fresh strawberry filling. Make sure to save those little cupcake tops to put over the filling.
Then comes the frosting- the addition of vanilla to this topping makes this a great addition to the flavors. The final step is optional, but it really takes the presentation to the next level. Remove the leaves from strawberries and cut them in half. Place one half on each cupcake. You can even get creative and make them into little hearts if you wanted to!
This is a great dish that brings the flavors of a strawberry shortcake, but with the kid-friendly appeal of cupcakes. What a lovely way to show you care!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
30 minutes active, 20 minutes inactive to prepare / makes 12 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the filling
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup reserved strawberry filling
- Strawberries for garnish (optional)
- To make the filling cook strawberries on stovetop for about 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and water thickened with cornstarch. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl combine melted butter and sugar. Add in egg white, milk, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add dry mixture into wet ingredients slowly.
- Scoop batter into muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Cut a hole 1 /2 deep hole in each cupcake for the filling with a knife. Save the cut-out pieces. Make sure the hole misses the bottom of cupcakes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of filling to each cupcake. Replace tops of cupcakes to cover.
- Whip together cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add in reserved strawberry filling and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Frost cupcakes with topping. As an optional garnish add a strawberry cut in half in on top. Best served chilled.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.