When it comes to tasty treats made from cereal, we all tend to automatically think of Rice Krispies, but we can promise that it’s not the only kind of cereal that’s deserving of that use. It turns out that Cheerios lend themselves to desserts just as well, and when combined with peanut butter and a few other ingredients, make a no-bake bar that’s crispy, crunchy, sticky and sweet, and oh-so-satisfying.
These No-Bake Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars take just about five minutes to prep and are a crispy cereal bar with more of a substantial crunch and candy-like snap than you’re used to. The center of the bars is chewy, while the outside has a hard crunch, and there’s plenty of peanut butter flavor running throughout.
They’re a great after-school or anytime snack, and luckily they’re super simple to make! (You know we love a dessert that doesn’t involve any oven time.) You just start by bringing some sugar and corn syrup to a boil…
And then adding in some peanut butter and vanilla and whisking until smooth.
You pour that over a bowl full of cheerios and chopped peanuts…
And stir it up quickly until all of the cereal is coated.
You press the mixture into a greased baking dish, and let it sit until it’s become solid.
All that’s left to do is slice it into bars and serve.
Whether you’re a kid of 5 or 95, these simple treats are easy to enjoy and even easier to make. There’s more than one cereal treat bar out there and these will definitely become a part of your regular rotation!
No-Bake Cheerio Bars
30 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 6 cups Cheerios
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and add peanut butter and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together Cheerios and peanuts, if using. Pour peanut butter mixture over and stir until combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking sheet and let sit until firm. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Adapted from Julies Eats and Treats.