Whoa, this slow cooker dish is ridiculously good – we should know because we’ve now had two (or more) bowls of it. If at first you look at it and think, “eh, do we really need another dish that seems like a cross between an appetizer and main course in our lives,” the answer is undoubtedly, one hundred percent yes, you do need this in your life. These cheesy mushroom meatballs are totally addictive, and basically the perfect choice regardless of whether you’re serving them as a party app or plopping them down on a bed of egg noodles that act as the perfect vessel for getting as much of that creamy, cheesy goodness into your mouth as possible.
It’s not just how good these taste that makes us love this recipe, it’s also how incredibly easy this whole thing is to throw together that makes it amazing. Win-win! You’ll need a big bag of fully-cooked, frozen meatballs (feel free to use store-bought or make your own), two cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup, one half pint of sliced mushrooms, 1 onion and a package of velveeta. Now, you either love or hate velveeta; we use it because we find it melts more smoothly, but swap in cheddar cheese if it’s not your thing. Problem solved. You guys, all you do is mix everything together in your slow cooker and then turn it on and let it cook, stirring in the middle, for 3-4 hours. That’s it!
You’ve got five core ingredients, plus a recipe that’s made by just stirring everything together. It really doesn’t get better than this! Because of the soup and creamy, melty cheese your meatballs stay nice and juicy. Plus, pro tip. If you keep your meatballs at the bottom of the slow cooker and let them cook before stirring everything fully, you’ll end up with perfectly browned meatballs that add more flavor and deliciousness to the overall dish. Ahh, it’s so good, we’re hooked!!
Cheesy Mushroom Meatballs
15 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (64 oz.) package fully cooked (frozen) meatballs, thawed
- 2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 oz.) package button or baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (16 oz.) package velveeta cheese or sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- egg noodles, optional serving item
- Place meatballs in slow cooker and top with sliced mushrooms, onion, mushroom soup and cubed velveeta.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss everything together until evenly coated, then cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 4-5, until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir halfway through.
- Serve alone, or with egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Deliciously Sprinkled