We can’t resist the delicious taste and texture of shredded sweetened coconut. We know it can be a polarizing subject, with lovers or haters of coconut, but the latter will likely find a soft spot for coconut when it comes in the form of this chocolatey Earthquake Cake. What we love about this cake is how simple it is to put together. We can whip this up pretty easily and know that it will be a crowd pleaser. Of course, the coconut is great, as well as the pecans, but what really sends us over the top is the combination of chocolate fudge cake and those dollops of sweetened cream cheese. Hold me back!
Who can resist? With eruptions of sweetened cream cheese bubbling up from the fudgy chocolate base, then shards of coconut and bites of salty nuts in between, this is really a cake that is sure to shake things up – in a good way!
The casual nature of this cake is really something that we enjoy, especially when it comes to baking a cake. There’s nothing particularly fussy about this cake and it easily serves up to a crowd. We love to cut this into bars, maybe even serve it up ala mode with some vanilla ice cream. This cake has a wonderful combination of flavors and textures that are sure to please any dessert lover: chocolate, sweet cream cheese, nuts, and coconut all join forces to make one cake that is sure to shake up your dessert world!
1 hour to prepare serves 10-12
- 1 (15 oz) box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups sweetened coconut, flaked
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Spread coconut flakes evenly across bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle chopped pecans over top of coconut layer.
- Prepare cake mix according to box instructions, including the egg, water, and oil as directed. Pour prepared cake mix over coconut and pecans.
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Add butter and beat until combined. Add half powdered sugar and mix on low speed until just blended, then add remaining powdered sugar until smooth.
- Place heaping spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top of cake batter. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake before serving. Enjoy!