Doctoring up boxed cake mix is one of our favorite ways to get a unique and easy dessert, and this Chocolate Cherry Cola Cake is a shining example of just how utilizing a simple shortcut can lead to an irresistibly special treat. Rich and chocolatey, it’s also studded with tart pops of cherry, and topped with a quick, sweet marshmallow frosting that carries on the cherry flavor. It’s a chocolate and cherry cola mashup, and that combo is definitely something we’ve all been missing.
In just one bowl, you mix up Devil’s Food cake mix with eggs, oil, cherry cola, and a little bit of cherry juice, before folding in some maraschino cherries. After it comes out of the oven, you mix up an incredibly quick frosting – just marshmallow creme, butter, powdered sugar, and some fresh cherries – and spread it over the cake. The maraschino and fresh cherries play off of each other nicely and the rich chocolate flavor. It’s the kind of quick cake that’s sure to be a favorite!
Chocolate Cherry Cola Cake
2 hours to prepare serves 6-8
- For the cake:
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 8 oz cherry Coke
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 oz maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (1/4 cup liquid reserved)
- For the frosting:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 oz marshmallow cream
- 18 fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, cherry Coke, oil, eggs, vanilla, and reserved cherry juice until well combined. Fold in the maraschino cherries, then pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Slowly add in 2 cups of powdered sugar, then the milk and vanilla, then the remaining powdered sugar.
- Beat in the marshmallow cream, then fold in the cherries. Spread evenly over the top of the cake. Serve, and enjoy!