When it comes to breakfast on the weekends, we love the idea of brunch (we love it in practice, if it means we’re not the ones making it), but when you’re the one cooking up the pancakes or making individual waffles and people are treating you as the short order cook…then it’s a little less fun for us. Which is why we’ve turned to easy breakfast recipes that feed a crowd and leave us able to join our family at the table and digging in at the same time, instead of after everyone’s already finished. This slow cooker banana pecan french toast is so yummy!
We made it dairy-free this time, using almond milk and coconut oil instead of milk and butter, but you can absolutely use those if you have them on hand; we like the very slight flavor the coconut oil adds, but it’s totally up to you. Whole wheat baguette slices soak up your egg, almond milk and cinnamon-spiced mixture, then you get plenty of ripe banana slices and crunchy pecans on top…everything cooks together and you get a flavorful, rich breakfast treat that will have everyone demanding the recipe from you, you’ll see!
Banana Pecan French Toast
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 8
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole wheat baguette, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Combine eggs, almond milk, turbinado sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl, and whisk together until smooth and incorporated.
- Place 12 baguette slices in the bottom of slow cooker, then pour egg mixture on top.
- Place sliced bananas in a small bowl and pour lemon juice on top to prevent browning and keep flavorful and fresh. Arrange bananas on top of bread in slow cooker.
- Drizzle melted coconut oil over bread and bananas, then sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over everything in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until toothpick inserted in bread comes out clean.
- Scoop into bowls, then top with more sliced banana and chopped pecans. Enjoy!