When you think of potato salad what normally comes to mind is a huge mound of potatoes coated in a thick, creamy sauce…welll, this doesn’t look anything like the creamy stuff, but it more than holds its own against the classic version. Now, yes, this dish does require an oven – or a grill if you want to stay outside – but trust us, the heat is worth is. This is a roasted potato veggie salad that blows everything else out of the water. Perfectly roasted potatoes – we love those browned bits that have all the flavor – sweet corn, onions and bell pepper, tossed in oil and spices, making this a fresh and flavorful choice that we’ve been loving.
While traditional potato salad is made or broken by the dressing, which is chock-full of mayonnaise, usually, this is a recipe with a “dressing” that lets the veggies sing, amping up the flavor, but not detracting from the main ingredients themselves. Olive oil, salt and pepper, fresh dill, cumin and chili powder are all you need, and they act to bring out the best in the potatoes, corn, onions and peppers…if we had to choose, the corn just may be our favorite part, since it’s the sweetness, plus the spice that work so well together. Seriously, we made this two days ago and have found a way to incorporate it into just about every meal since then….
Even if you’ve got some resolute, classic potato salad lovers in your life, you’ve gotta get them to try this version and see what they think. Roasted veggies are, in our humble opinion, the best way to enjoy fresh produce, and this recipe gives them their due time in the spotlight. This is ridiculously good, you’ll see!
Roasted Potato Veggie Salad
45 minutes to prepare serves 8
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 ears corn, husks on
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or coarse
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place potatoes, bell peppers and onion in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, dill, cumin and chili powder. Toss together until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer vegetables to a baking sheet, then nestle corn, husk(s) still on, into the veggies as well.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 30 minutes, then remove ear(s) of corn.
- Return baking sheet to oven and bake for another 30 minutes, or until potatoes and tender.
- Once corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels off the husk.
- When potatoes are fork tender, transfer veggies to a large serving bowl. Add corn, then garnish with green onion and more fresh dill.
Recipe adapted from Aberdeen's Kitchen