We needed a bake sale treat and we needed one fast! Of course, we could fall back on the old standby recipe for Rice Krispy treats, but we couldn’t resist whipping up a batch of these peanut-buttery chocolate bars with the most adorable little name. Puppy Chow bars came to the rescue and we couldn’t be more pleased with how these turned out.
Chocolate and peanut butter are two of our favorite dessert combinations, there’s just something so irresistible about the rich chocolate flavor and the salty-sweet peanut butter. To make this even sweeter and gooier, we add marshmallows and melt them into a deliciously sticky-sweet creamy mix. The next step is super simple too: just fold in some Chex Mix cereal. We’ve already prepared our 9×13-inch baking dish by lining it with parchment paper as well as greasing the pan with cooking spray to make sure each bar comes out smoothly. A lightly greased spatula will help spread the mixture evenly to the sides. Now, the bars need a few minutes to set before they’re ready to be sliced.
One more thing that we just couldn’t resist: a generous sprinkle of powdered sugar over the top – yum! Our Puppy Chow bars couldn’t be more delicious. We love the simplicity of a good Rice Krispy treat but these chocolaty peanut butter bars are truly something special and don’t require too much extra effort to make. So, if you’ve got a bake sale coming up or you’ve been struck with an irresistible urge for something chocolatey and sweet, then the solution to both problems is quickly solved with a batch of Puppy Chow bars!
Puppy Chow Bars
15 minutes to prepare serves 9-12
- 6 cups Chex mix cereal
- 9 cups marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, as needed
- Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a large, microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Stir marshmallows in and return to microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Lightly greased with non-stick spray, fold Chex mix into marshmallow mixture, mixing until cereal is fully coated.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish and press gently into an even layer.
- Let cool, then top with a dusting of powdered sugar before serving.
Recipe adapted from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts.