You’ve heard us wax poetic before about having great recipes that can be thrown together in a pinch and that require as little effort as possible, and we’ve got an awesome recipe today that checks those boxes! No-peek chicken. If the name is a little confusing at first, that confusion clears up very quickly after hearing how this chicken is made. Five ingredients (not including salt and pepper), a little over an hour, one 9×13 and one piece of aluminum foil are all it takes to make this, and boy is it good!
To start, you’ll want boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, a box of Uncle Ben’s long grain wild rice (plus the seasoning packet), a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup. Apart from those core ingredients, it’s just water, salt and pepper – that’s it! Mix your liquids together, stir in the rice and seasoning packet, then spread that into your casserole dish. Arrange the chicken, then – and here’s where the name comes into the mix – cover your dish tightly with aluminum foil. Put it in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes and don’t peek even once during that time!
We know the cooking time sounds crazy – especially considering you can cook chicken typically in under 30 minutes – but trust us, this is the way to do it. The liquid, and subsequently all the flavor, slowly get absorbed by the rice, and since the dish is so tightly sealed all the condensation gets reabsorbed by the meat, giving you moist, juicy chicken that couldn’t be dry if it tried. This recipe is like magic and it tastes incredible, you’ll see. One quick trip to the store is all you need, then you can kick back and relax once it’s all in the oven. Enjoy!
5 minutes active; 1.5 hours inactive to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 (6 oz.) package Uncle Ben’s long grain wild rice
- 1 (10.25 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.25 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1 1/2 cans water, use empty soup can
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine rice, soups and water in baking dish and mix together until combined.
- Arrange chicken on top of rice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Seal tightly with aluminum foil, then place in oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until rice has absorbed all liquid.
- Keep baking dish covered throughout baking and make sure you don’t peek!
Recipe adapted from Recipes Me