There are some people who think desserts should be all chocolate all the time. That’s not us. We love chocolate as much as the next person (because… chocolate), but we’re perfectly content with a fresh, lemony treat. That lemon flavor feels a bit lighter and maybe not so indulgent, but that sweet and tart brightness just doesn’t compare to anything else. You might say we’re a little bit in love with lemon. And we don’t care who knows it.
This cake is all about that quintessential lemon flavor. It’s sweet and tart, but never cloying, and it’s rich and soooo creamy, but it won’t weigh you down. It’s part cake, part pudding, and it’s made us feel like all of our dessert dreams have come true.
You see, the top is a light and fluffy cake texture with lemon flavor running throughout, while the bottom is this dreamy, citrusy pudding. The two textures play off each other so well that you really don’t need anything to accompany this. No frosting, no ice cream… just a little dusting of powdered sugar to dress it up.
It’s a simple cake to mix up. You whisk together the dry ingredients, and then the wet (save for the egg whites). The egg whites get whipped up and folded into the batter, which is what gives this dessert its lovely soufflé-like texture. It’s not a cake you’re going to slice and serve; it’s a custardy endeavor you’ll need to spoon out into servings. It’s rustic and homey, and it’s one quick cake you absolutely have to try.
Lemon Pudding Cake
45 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Zest from one lemon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan or pie plate with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and melted butter. Add the milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and half of the lemon zest and whisk until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into lemon mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake until set, about 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest and serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from How Sweet Eats.