It’s hard to believe that a chuck roast can become completely fork tender in just over and hour, but thanks to the Instant Pot, it really can. We admit that we were a little skeptical about the popular appliance when we tried it for the first time, but both the Instant Pot and this amazing recipe had us hooked from the get-go! This butter beef tastes so good, plus, it doesn’t hurt that there’s an endless list of things you can do with shredded, tender beef.
Butter is featured in the title of this recipe for good reason. It plays a huge role in the cooking process, making the beef so juicy and rich that it melts in your mouth after mixing perfectly with Italian and ranch pre-mixed spices. It’s such a simple, mouth-watering combination that you would never know putting it together is such an effortless secret. One might also never guess that pickled peppers and some of their juices are yet another delicious reason why this meat is so hard to stop eating! Seriously, it’s addictively good and you’ll be looking forward to eating this all week!
We found that thoroughly searing the meat first to get a nice, brown crust makes a big difference on the texture and flavor of the dish overall. The beauty of the Instant Pot is that, not only is it a pressure cooker, but it can also function as a stovetop, heating up high enough to brown your beef in just a few minutes. You’ll see how easy it is, since everything stays nice and contained inside the Instant Pot – no splatters or extra pans to scrub. Yay! This kind of dish only tastes better the next day, because it sits in all that delicious juice and absorbs all the flavor. That means that you can make more than one meal with what’s left, which saves both time and money. When it comes to getting the most from a recipe, this one is as good as it gets!!
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 oz.) jar pepper rings, 1/4 cup juices reserved, peppers drained
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (1 oz.) package dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (0.6 oz.) package zesty Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Turn Instant Pot on to sauté or brown and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot.
- Add chuck roast and sear all sides until browned.
- Turn Instant Pot off, then pour water over the roast, along with drained pepper rings and 1/4 cup juices, dry ranch mix, Italian seasoning mix, salt and pepper.
- Place butter on top of roast, then close and lock the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the valve.
- Manually set time for 80 minutes.
- Once 80 minutes has passed, quick release or naturally release the pressure.
- Shred beef and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Beyer Beware