It’s those cold, stormy days when we really feel like nothing would be better than staying cozied up indoors, snuggled up in a warm blanket with a huge, steaming mug of hot chocolate to help ward up off the cold. Now, we used to reach for those hot chocolate packets that we could easily dump into a cup of hot milk, but we’ve since made hot-chocolate-on-a-stick and are pretty convinced we’re never going back to our old way.
While the packets are fine if you’re okay with thin, watery hot chocolate (regardless of whether you’ve used milk or water), this stuff is the real deal. It’s basically a dried, hot chocolate concentrate that melts into a deliciously thick, frothy treat when you mix it into a mug of hot milk. Not only that, but look at how cute these sticks are! They’re perfect as stocking stuffers for the holidays or just as fun, little wintry gifts for your loved ones – they’re impossible not to love!
The important thing to note in this recipes is that you should be using the highest quality of chocolate you can find, and not chocolate chips. Typically, chocolate chips have preservatives and stabilizers in them that, if you’re melting them down, will make your chocolate waxy, which is not what we want. Chocolate bars or blocks will melt more smoothly and make for a nice, smooth finish. Once you’ve got your chocolate, sugar, cocoa mixture, you’ll scoop it into jumbo silicone ice cube trays and top each cube with marshmallows. Let them set and then pop ‘em into your hot milk as you see fit.
We love using these silicone molds because they make slightly larger hot chocolate cubes that your average ice cube tray. Plus, you can easily pop out your hot chocolate sticks and then throw the tray in the dish washer. They’re super handy and make the cutest little treats. The hot chocolate these cubes create is definitely superior to anything else out there. Seriously, the difference between these bad boys and the store-bought stuff is INSANE. You won’t go back once you try these and see how good they are!
Hot Chocolate Sticks
Time to prepare: 15 minutes active; 1+ hour inactive
- 9 oz. milk chocolate, chopped (not chocolate chips)
- 7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (not chips)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, loosely packed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- mini marshmallows
- silicone ice cube molds
- skewers, cut in half
- Sift together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl, then set aside.
- Combine chopped milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate in a (completely dry) glass bowl and microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour melted chocolate into dry ingredients and fold until fully incorporated. Mixture will be quite thick.
- Optional: transfer mixture to a large, resealable plastic bag and cut off a snippet of the corner.
- Pipe or spoon chocolate mixture into silicone ice cube molds, then top with mini marshmallows and insert a halved skewer or straw into the center of chocolate cube.
- Place in refrigerator and let set until firm.
- When ready to serve: carefully remove chocolate cubes from molds and warm 1 cup milk in the microwave or on the stove.
- Take one cube and stir it into hot milk until completely dissolved. 1-3 minutes.
Recipe adapted from 30 Pounds Of Apples