With summertime being prime time for cookouts and barbecues, it’s good to have a plethora of side dish recipes to choose from, especially when it feels like there’s a get-together each weekend! Instead of classic go-tos like potato salad or coleslaw, we’ve got a recipe that makes perfect use of fresh, sweet summer corn…trust us, it’s so good it blows all other recipes out of the water!
This crispy corn and white bean salad takes a little bit of assembly work, but it is so worth it once you try the finished product and see how it all comes together. Slightly caramelized corn and onion, plus jalapeño (if you’re feeling adventurous), along with hearty white beans, make up the base of this salad – yum. Then there’s a deliciously simple, spicy dressing that bumps up the flavor of things, but that’s not all, no. Our favorite part about this dish is the buttery, crispy panko breadcrumbs that go on top and add just the right amount of crispness. It all works together to form a great dish that you can enjoy all summer long. We should know, we’ve made it at least once week since we first tried it!
If you’re looking at the steps and thinking it seems a bit involved for your average summer salad, we’d just like to reiterate just how good it is and how much you’ll crave it once you try it for the first time. Making potato salad involves boiling water and using a couple different dishes, and this crispy corn salad is the same…but better. It’s not too heavy, it’s packed with flavor and it’s a sure-fire crowd pleaser. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
Crispy White Bean Corn Salad
20 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 2 (13.25 oz.) cans cannellini beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup panko or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- -1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon desired hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, hot sauce and soy sauce, if using, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together panko breadcrumbs and cilantro, then stir in melted butter until everything is thoroughly coated.
- Optional, place breadcrumbs in a small pan or skillet and toast over low heat for 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion, corn and jalapeño, if using, for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and continue cooking for another 1 minute, or until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a large serve bowl, toss white beans with sautéed veggies, then pour olive oil dressing over the top. Toss together until coated, then sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.