A quick chicken bake is the type of meal we find ourselves turning to again and again. We love a dinner that comes out of one dish, and we love it even more when it’s something the whole family can feel happy about. It’s just a matter of coming up with different flavor combinations so things don’t get boring! Well, you can be sure this flavor combo is anything but boring. With peppers, onions, mushrooms, chicken, and zucchini all smothered in a layer of mozzarella, you get plenty of flavor with very little effort.
Calling this a bake is perhaps misleading. Most of your cooking time is actually on the stovetop, and the whole thing finishes up in the oven for just ten minutes or so. It’s a quick meal, but not one that feels like it’s taking any shortcuts. You start by sauteeing the chicken until it’s cooked through, but you could totally use leftover rotisserie chicken here instead if you have some on hand. Then you sauté all of the veggies until they become soft, and give it a minute or two with some garlic and thyme before tossing it all together in the baking dish and coating it in mozzarella. Pop it in the oven and let the cheese melt, and you can call dinner done!
Chicken and Veggie Bake
35 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and saute until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken to baking dish.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini to pan. Saute until soft, 5-7 more minutes, then add garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more. Season well with salt and pepper and add to baking dish.
- Stir chicken and vegetables together in baking dish, then top with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from She Knows.