While you don’t usually hear the words “cheddar cheese” and “pineapple” in the same sentence – and no, we’re not talking about pizza – this is a sweet and savory side dish that totally takes your dish to the next level. The ingredient list might seem a little confusing at first, but bear with us: the end result is a crunchy, cheesy, fruity combo that, once you put everything together, really works!
Pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, cheddar cheese and ritz crackers make up the heart of this dish. Even though it sounds strange, the sweet pineapple, the salty cheese and the crunchy crackers all come together in a hot, melty casserole that will have people initially confused, but then totally hooked.
This is a southern classic that some people might recognize, but for others seems totally out of the blue. Just trust us: the cheesy fruity combo is delicious. If you’ve ever had apple slices with cheddar cheese, you’ll understand the power of the fruity salty combo, but for those of you who haven’t, you’ll just have to take the leap of faith with us and try this out for yourself.
Whether it’s served alongside some pork tenderloin or chicken thighs, this makes for a fun, tasty side dish that will most likely steal the show. Our family was skeptical at first, but everybody saw the light after that first bite and you will too – it’s so good!
Cheesy Pineapple Casserole
40 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (8 oz.) cans pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapples
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 sleeve ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cheese, sugar and flour, mixing until the cheese is totally coated.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple, then mix in ground cinnamon, if using.
- Pour pineapple mixture into greased baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix crushed ritz crackers with melted butter, then sprinkle mixture over baking dish in an even layer.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until crackers are golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Complete Recipes