It might look like there’s a lot going on with this casserole. There’s cheese, there’s corn, there’s broccoli, there’s cauliflower… but don’t let that fool you into thinking that it takes more effort than it’s worth. That’s simply not the case. This comforting cheesy dish takes all of five minutes to mix together, and since it relies on convenient frozen veggies, you don’t even have to chop a single thing. It’s tender and flavorful, and equally at home on a weeknight dinner table or amongst a holiday spread.
It takes its inspiration from scalloped corn but tucks a couple of extra veggies into that creamy custard, which means it’s hearty enough to serve as a main. (But we think it still totally works as a side. Everyone loves this at Thanksgiving.)
This dish takes some shortcuts, but it doesn’t taste like it does. You simply mix together some creamed corn with a can of drained corn kernels, some frozen broccoli and cauliflower, eggs, flour, and a fair bit of cheese. We like to add just the teensiest bit of cayenne pepper for a little kick, but you can absolutely leave that out if you’re not seeking any spiciness. The eggs and creamed corn bind everything together in a soft custard and a generous helping of cheese on top ensures that every bite has some ooey-gooey cheesiness.
This dish has all the delicious comfort you’ve come to know and love from Scalloped Corn, it’s just… stepped up! And we’ll surely take more of a good thing when we can get it.
Corn Broccoli Cauliflower and Cheese Casserole
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 can (15 oz) can creamed corn
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped cauliflower
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine creamed corn, creamed corn, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, if using. Stir in half of the cheese and the broccoli and cauliflower. Spread into baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly, about 1 hour. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from Taste and Tell.