My only complaint about Chocolate Mousse is that I don’t have more of it in my life, but this blender method solves that problem. (For better or worse. This recipe makes it a little too easy to indulge.) It’s incredibly quick to whip up – it’ll take you well under ten minutes; the hardest part is waiting for it to set in the fridge.
You only need five ingredients to make this (six if you count salt) and one of those is chocolate chips, which makes this incredibly easy to make on a whim. The better quality chocolate chips you use, the better flavor you’ll get, but the texture is creamy and the flavor is rich and deep no matter what you have on hand.
You start by pulsing the chocolate chips with eggs and sugar in a blender. This helps break them up so they melt easier once you pour the scalded cream in. The cream will be hot enough to melt the chocolate and cook the eggs a bit, so there’s no extra cooking involved.
You blend that all together until it thickens, and your work is done! A touch of instant coffee makes the chocolate taste even more chocolate-y and a little salt brings out the sweetness. Pour the mixture into jars and set it in the fridge to chill, and all you have left to do is dig in. I told you, it’s almost TOO easy.
Blender Chocolate Mousse
10 minutes active, 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (12 oz) package semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream, scalded
- 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Add chocolate chips, sugar, and eggs to a blender. Pulse until chocolate chips are finely chopped and ingredients are mixed.
- Dissolve instant coffee and salt in scalded cream. With blender running, slowly pour cream mixture into blender.
- Blend at medium speed until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into individual ramekins or serving dishes and chill until mixture has set, at least 2 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from A Family Feast.