You know we like to keep things interesting around here, which is why we’re always tweaking and revamping recipes to make sure they’re as tasty as they can get. Coleslaw is a summer staple, perfect for cookouts and afternoons by the pool, but we’re so used to making the same slaw over and over again – why not switch things up? Apple bacon coleslaw is similar to its cousin, traditional coleslaw, but with a few key ingredient additions that add a whole lot more flavor….
Apples and bacon, obviously, are the two main components here that make this a departure from the standard, but there are a couple other things that make a pretty big difference as well: apple cider vinegar, orange juice, lemon, fennel and green onion, namely. Cabbage is still a big part of the slaw, or else it wouldn’t really be coleslaw, but these other fresh ingredients add more depth of flavor and refreshing bite, plus a little sweetness, thanks to the fresh orange juice and honey (we nixed any added sugar).
If you’re looking for something that’s not such a stretch from the classic, but still fresh and delicious and exciting, this apple bacon coleslaw is exactly what you’re looking for. It comes together quickly, and the new additions make a huge impact and all the difference. Hope you love it as much as we do!
20 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium cabbage, shredded
- 1 small fennel, optional, shredded
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions, greens finely chopped
- 4 apples, peeled and shredded
- In a medium bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, honey, salt, orange and lemon juices, and pepper, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, fennel, crumbled bacon, green onion and apples, then pour dressing over the top.
- Mix everything together and let rest at least 20-30 minutes before serving, or overnight.
Recipe adapted from Complete Recipes